About the book
Visser's Annotated Patent Convention the 2018 Edition (previously known as the Annotated European Patent Convention) is published on December 15th, 2018.
The book Visser's Annotated Patent Convention is a commentary on the European Patent Convention and a bestseller in European patent law. Each year a new, updated edition of the book is published and available in paperback form.
About the content
The 2018 edition of this preeminent work – the only regularly updated authoritative article-by-article commentary in English on the European Patent Convention (EPC), its implementing regulations, and associated case law – provides the complete text of the 2000 Convention annotated with commentary and expert guidance on the interpretation of each paragraph. Since its first edition in 1994 it has provided the European patent community with the necessary insights to practice successfully before the European Patent Office. The EPO recommends the Annotated European Patent Convention as the first book in its list of non-EPO/WIPO literature to be used for the preparation of the European
In addition to a thorough updating of developments, new material in this edition includes the following:
- Important amendments in the latest edition of the Guidelines that entered into force 1 November 2018;
- Announced amendments of the law that enter into force after 15 November 2018;
- A new decision of the Enlarged Board of Appeal on partial priority;
- The changed structure of the Boards of Appeal and the effect on their perceived independence.
Cross-references in the notes to articles and rules aim at giving an insight into the structure of the Convention. The provisions also contain references to the EPC 1973 to facilitate comparison of the old and new law. Numerous references to case law and the Guidelines allow the user to consult the source of the information contained in the notes and give a quick access to important case law. Transitional provisions from the EPC 1973 to the EPC 2000 are given where still relevant. The closing sections of the book consist of a Case Law Table, an Index, and summaries of articles and rules of various law texts, intended for obtaining a quick grasp of essential elements of these laws.
Who is it for?
The Annotated European Patent Convention is intended as a reference book for both the practitioner and the trainee. It provides a quick grasp of the essentials of the law both for the practitioner and the trainee. The detail in the notes reflects the detail required to answer questions posed in the European Qualifying Examinations of the last few years. Note, that the full text of the Arrangement for Deposit Accounts and the Arrangements for the Automatic Debiting procedure are not included. The regular updates and the profundity make the book an indispensable reference for the practitioner.
- The only regularly updated authoritative article-by-article commentary in English on the European Patent Convention (EPC), its implementing regulations, and associated case law
- Complete text of the 2000 Convention annotated with commentary and expert guidance on the interpretation of each paragraph
- The foremost commentary on European patent law
- Important amendments in the latest edition of the EPO Guidelines that entered into force 1 November 2017
- Gain all necessary insights to practise successfully before the European Patent Office
- Quick access to important cases in European patent law
- Keep up to date with EPO and EPC developments
- Prepare efficiently for the European Patent Office qualifying examination